Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Regreso a la Republica Dominicana mas pronto!

Listening to the soundtrack of the last 2 weeks one of my mas o menos home stay sisters, Maria, gave me while eating the best cheese empanada I've ever had at the Santiago airport waiting for my 3:15 AM flight to Boston. 

Can't believe two weeks went by. 

What happened?

Biggest accomplishment: I actually got 104 pages of a thesis draft done. Seriously. While it was hot fun in the summer time, bright, sunshiny days, I was writing. And I'm glad I did- because I am seriously behind in school (did I mention I get into Burlington at 3:30 PM tomorrow and have to book it to a class at 4:00 backpacking pack and all). 

I carried out interviews with all the workers at the factory about their personal use with the filter and if they see any problems with it, and then conducted interviews around the tiny, Higuerito community where I gathered more responses from people who use the filters in town. 

Most importantly, I got to see how the clay is mixed up and made into the clay membranes that make the filter. I got to see the liquid colloidal silver get added to the clay (and I learned the trade secret amount that is used for FilterPure filters), and I watched as over 200 lbs of clay and sawdust got mixed in a pug mill and then got wedged and pressed in a mold to create a batch of 30 filter membranes. Really exciting stuff to be able to watch! And I learn so much better by doing and observing, all of those scholarly articles I've been researching about ceramic water filters really came to life.

On Friday, Negro, Radhy, Melissa, Mark and I took a trip to Santiago to get helados and sit in the city park. I liked Santiago much better than Santo Domingo, less hectic!

The Gray family took Mark and I to a tourist beach last Saturday, Cabarete, and it was really nice (even with all seven of the Gray children plus 3 of their friends). Dad, you would've loved to snorkel in this ocean, and you also would love to see how much it looked like Miami...but alas...I didn't take any pictures of it, so you'll just have to trust me (and you can enjoy looking at the Picture of McDonald's I took in town in Santiago that I told you about to which you responded, 'McDonald's? Oh WOW'). 

Maria, Radhy, Melissa and I got to free Negro from his night school classes twice, once last week and again tonight. More or less we would be stopped by the guard at the front of the school around 8 PM when class doesn't get out for Negro until 9, and we would walk up to his class, tell one of the head professors he needed to leave, and no problem. Negro was free to leave so we could fulfill our nightly ritual- dance parties in my room. I got to tell the head professor tonight that it's my last night here and I wanted to spend it with mi mejor amigo and she understood. Although at every other dance party, 10:00 PM would roll around and the girl's mom, Maria, would knock on the door and say it was time for bed. But tonight, all the girls and negro (my 4 sisters) got to come with to drive me to the airport in Cousin Claudia's car. 

Tonight being my last night, one of the workers, Domingo, invited me to get ice cream with him, another one of the workers, Benjamin, and my sister- Maria. We got to go there by motorcycle which was the most fun (and not at all dangerous, Mom and Dad) and it was the best 'double date' I've been on (except for the quadruple date we went on in high school). 

It was hard saying goodbye to all of the hermanas and Elena, Radhames and Maria tonight! I can't believe how close I got with this family after only being here for 2 weeks. It just seemed like we were all always laughing about something and had the best time together. Negro wrote me the nicest cards, one in English and one in Spanish, and Maria gave me two vests to bring home with me. Domingo, one of my favorite workers, wouldn't let me leave without accepting his gift of three Muneca dolls that he makes---and they are beautiful! 

I'm going to find a way to stay here for a year and work with promoting and educating on the ceramic water filters. Whether it's through a full bright or what, I'm not sure, but I know I will be back to Higuerito and hopefully it is for longer and more than just a visit next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment