So I've never really been to a club.
When I was in Austria my sister and I tried to get into a club with our friend Fabian, and I didn't have a license so I showed my passport and the guy at the door was so confused that some one actually showed ID for a club that anyone can get into....that we didn't get in. Fabian lead us out of the corridor saying, 'Well, that was the first time I didn't get into a club.'
I've barely been to bars as I turned 21 right before I left for Ghana.
I don't really consider myself the clubbing type of gal, but going out to The Club, cleverly named, 'Simon Dice' (too many comments like 'Simon Dice says you're going to get hammered' ensued) last night for Jairo's birthday was a fun breach of character.
The bar and club scene in Manizales is fairly big as there are about 15 universities in the area, so it seems like everyone is out on the town drinking with intention to dance.
Seeing all of the college-aged drunkards guzzling down loads of greasy food, huddled in the streets; made me feel right at home or some sort of Reggaetone/Latin American version of a late night Boulder---since Vermont's 'late night scene' is more of a Honky Tonk Tuesday kind of thing or music venue etc.
The ambush to surprise Jairo was that Katie was going to take him out to a dinner of pasta while I helped the rest of the gang decorate Jairo, Rob and Juan Fey's apartment with balloons etc. Katie and Jairo came back and we all hid with the lights off, and yelled surprise just like we were supposed to.
Katie said Jairo had told her as they were coming back to the apartment that 'he really just wanted a low key night,' but that changed when he saw that all of us had already finished a bottle of Colombian's cheap, licorice tasting liquor, Crystal.
Katie and all her friends know every word to every Colombian and popular dance song.
The choruses repeat enough that I'm not too far from that after only 3 days of being here (and 3 days of Cesi constantly listening to OLYMPICA, the radio station whose jingle will never leave my head).
And everyone in the entirety of Manizales, I can conclusively say, is an incredible dancer. I would go so far as to say in the entirety of Colombia, but I of course only know Manizales.
When I dance I look like Ellen Degeneres and then if I'm trying to dance with some one else, I get flashbacks to awkward Bar and Bat Mitzvahs; but luckily I drank enough (possibly more than I've drank in an entire 6 months) to not really care.
A successful 23rd birthday to Jairo, indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment